Thursday, January 22, 2015

Friendly Fire



"Whenever I want to have a good look at my biggest enemy, I walk in front of the mirror." 
- Rev. Dr. Ernest F. E. Rheins

In my mind, there's no greater man to have ever walked the face of this earth than my beloved Granddad/Father, the late Pastor E.F.E. Rheins.  I'll never be able to fully put into words how much it meant to have a man pour the amount of time and wisdom that he did into me.  There are so many nuggets of truth he used to always say, of which I'm sure many will be mentioned in future blogs.  As I have been reflecting over my life the past few days, this particular quote has truly stood out to me.  I never truly understood the true fullness of this phrase until I became an adult and faced real-life issues.

As I look through various posts by way of social media, listen to various conversations, or even during instances where I am an active participant in a one-on-one moment of dialogue, one thing that remains true is we (myself included) have the propensity to blame our shortcomings and faults on either the people or circumstances surrounding us.

It's very convenient to point the finger at others for the mistakes that we have made.  However, true strength is exhibited when we are able to take moments of introspection in order to find the things within us that need the most attention.  If someone has made you mad to the point where you are going off on Facebook tirades, cussing out everything/everyone including the dog, and slashing tires, there must be something within you that is so easily stirred up by feelings of anger.  

I have finally arrived to the point in my life where I am more inclined to look within when circumstances get tough, versus being so quick to deflect the attention from my own shortcomings.  However, this is where our subject matter comes into play.....

In the course of battle, we as well as those around us are forced to chose a side to fight on.  The term "friendly fire" becomes a factor whenever you in a battle and are struck by those who are on your team and in turn trust the most.  It's a sad testimony when you have to endure battles with an enemy, while also having to watch your back for those we deem as our friends.

In the same vein, we can be our own worst enemy in regards to being very hard on ourselves.  I personally am the first to declare war within myself, therefore my inner-me is truly forced to be my enemy.  I have truly had to to learn how to prevent myself from committing emotional suicide.  There are ways we can assess the things we can become better at without damning ourselves because of a decision we've made, or an emotion we are experiencing in that present moment.

Take the time to speak life into yourself and keep the narrative of YOU positive.  There are already enough shots being fired in your direction, why add more?  Our words are powerful and have the consequence of life or death attached to them.  Even if you don't feel like you're worth anything, tell yourself that you're an amazing man/woman.  When you are weak, say to yourself "I am strong." If the way your checking account is set up include a balance that shows "$1.24" start declaring that you are rich and debt free.  Some may deem it a false sense of security...I argue it's a faith-filled assessment of what is to be.  

You will come out...You will be set free, no matter what the odds are or what the naysayers say.  Don't let yourself be counted amongst the naysayers

No comments:

Post a Comment